The flu vaccine is currently available at the Darke County General Health District. Our walk in clinics are on Tuesdays from 8:00 a.m-10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m-5:00 p.m. Or call 937-548-4196 ext. 224 to make an appointment. We accept many insurances, so please bring your insurance card! If you want to speed up your wait time, please fill out our flu questionnaire and bring it to the clinic. 2016-flu-consent
The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat and lungs. It can cause mild to severe illness and at times can lead to death. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting a flu vaccine each year. For more information visit Flu.gov
Everyone six months of age and older should get a flu vaccine, each year. This recommendation has been in place since Feb. 24, 2010, when the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted for “universal” flu vaccination in the U.S. to expand protection against the flu to more people.
While everyone six months and older should get a flu vaccine each year, it’s especially important for some people to get vaccinated. Those people include the following:
- People who are at high risk of developing serious complications (like pneumonia) if they get sick with the flu.
- People who have certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
- Pregnant women.
- People younger than five years, especially those younger than two, and people 65 years and older.
- Household contacts and caregivers of people with certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes and chronic lung disease.
- Household contacts and caregivers of infants younger than six months old.
- Healthcare personnel.
Flu vaccines are available through DCGHD for children and adults.
Medicaid, Medicare, Anthem, Medical Mutal, United Health Care, and many other insurance plans are accepted and cover the full cost of the vaccination.
Call (937) 548-4196 ext. 224 for details or come to our walk-in clinics on Tuesdays from 8:00 am-10:30 am and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.